[open-bibliography] Linked Data for Libraries (LD4L) project

Tom Morris tfmorris at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 19:07:10 UTC 2014

Thanks Adrian.  Does anyone have any information on what they're actually
doing?  Is this going to result in yet another mega dump of
unreconciled/unlinked bibliographic RDF data or are they actually going to
make an attempting at linking things in a useful fashion?

Stanford was actually involved in a linked data experiment back in 2010
when a good chunk of their catalog was loaded into Freebase and matched up
with Freebase topics.  You can see a list of the book editions here:
https://www.freebase.com/authority/stanford/control?links&lang=en&sort=timestamp
If you look at an edition, you'll see that they're each linked back to the
Stanford OPAC system. For example, these two editions:
    https://www.freebase.com/m/075ngj1
    https://www.freebase.com/m/0c60n0m
are linked both their original catalog entries and to this work:
    https://www.freebase.com/m/075nhtg
and the topic for the author Donn Byrne
<https://www.freebase.com/m/02x79g1> which
is further linked to Wikipedia, OpenLibrary, VIAF, IMDB, and LC NAF.

That's all a long-winded way of saying that Stanford University Library has
a pretty good start on producing Linked Data today.

Cornell has some linked data for their OPAC too, although I don't think its
as extensive as the Stanford data.  I think it's mostly derived from the
metadata associated with Google Books scans.  If you look at this
edition<https://www.freebase.com/m/04w0sxn> of
Flatland <https://www.freebase.com/m/0j_mj> you can see that it's linked to
both Cornell's OPAC as well as the LC and OpenLibrary records for that
edition, while the work entry is linked to Wikipedia and
ISFDB<http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?1933>.
 (It should be linked to the OpenLibrary work page too, but OpenLibrary
didn't yet have works when the original Freebase linking was done, so
that's a gap in the linkage.

Tom