[open-civil-society] Introducing open-civil-society {Scanned by Mailsafe}

Toby Blume Toby at urbanforum.org.uk
Thu Aug 4 10:59:32 UTC 2011

Thanks David and David for kicking this off....

We've been having lots of disparate conversations about open data and so it's great to help and pull things into a more contained space (and hopefully a more coherent and connected discussion).

A couple of thoughts and a couple of questions:

David P - can you explain a little more about the groups you've mentioned please. as I'm now slightly confused about the difference between them and this list. do they not do the same thing (ie connect people and conversation around open data and civil society?). I'm sure there are differences, or you wouldn't have set up this list, but I'm not sure I quite understand them.

David K - do you see this group as focussing on how civil society uses public data? How civil society opens up its own data? Or both? clearly they are related and both needed, I just wasn't sure what you were proposing.

>From Urban Forum's point of view, we're very interested in the potential opportunity for communities and civil society to use open data to; hold the state to account, contribute to design and review/evaluation of public services and to inform their own work/activities. [that's not to say we're not interested in how civil society becomes more open and accountable to beneficiaries by adopting an open data approach. We are....just haven't expended as much brain time to that as to the civic participation/community involvement side of things].

Some of the key challenges we see at present in relation to open data are:

1)     That the sector is woefully unaware of the whole agenda (aside from a small minority...who I suspect are those on this list!). And even our 'champions' in Whitehall - OCS - are (by their own, private, admission) pretty clueless about what government is doing and how it relates to the sector.

2)     Open data is for the most part being led by/left to techies and datageeks...and the implications of are that a developer-led agenda will deliver developer-based solutions (ie for the geeks by the geeks)...and the real potential for opendata to be transformative will be lost.

3)     The government (and much of the debate) is couched in terms of 'transparency' as if this is an end in itself...rather than this being a precursor for greater accountability. Transparency can be hugely disempowering - eg publishing 125,000 lines of public spending data without any context/explanation, is worthless (and worse than that, it creates an expectation that we're missing something if we don't try and interrogate it to find the 'killer fact' needle in the proverbial haystack. We must move the debate on and challenge this type of thinking if we are to use opendata in any meaningful way.

4)     We currently don't have (or don't know of) the necessary tools to use opendata effectively - and by tools I mean ones that are designed for citizens and community organisations to use...not people with Phd.s in GIS!

5)     The real potential in opendata lies in integrating/using different public data sets, along with civil society's own data (and that from the private sector).

6)     If we do nothing the private sector will be all over this agenda like a rash and we will be so far behind it will be impossible to ever catch up.

Anyway...that's some thoughts from me.

Look forward to hearing what others think

Best wishes

toby

Toby Blume
Chief Executive
Urban Forum

E-Mail: toby at urbanforum.org.uk<mailto:toby at urbanforum.org.uk>  Web: www.urbanforum.org.uk<http://www.urbanforum.org.uk>
Tel: 020 7253 4816                     Fax: 020 7253 4817
Urban Forum is the trading name of Diverse Cities, a company limited by guarantee, number 3418682, and a registered charity, number 1096131. Registered address: 33 Corsham Street, London N1 6DR.