[open-civil-society] Charity Commission Consultation

David Kane David.Kane at ncvo-vol.org.uk
Tue Jun 19 14:24:04 UTC 2012

I thought this might be a useful time to resurrect this list!

The Charity Commission is currently running a consultation on the
information it collects on charities. The consultation questions
themselves are focussed on particular aspects of the Commission's annual
return forms, but they also say they welcome comments on wider issues,
such as:

- whether we should collect and publish more, less or different
information from charities
- how you use the information available on the Register of Charities
- how useful the information is to you
- whether the updating of basic information should remain an annual
requirement or be made possible at any point during the year

This feels like a good opportunity to advise them to move into a more
"open data" way of working. NCVO will be responding on behalf of its
members - we hope to have a draft response together this week which I'll
then blog about and ask for comments. You're welcome to send me comments
to inform NCVO's response, but if you can put in your own thoughts to
the Commission directly then I think weight of numbers would be helpful.

Consultation link is here:
http://www.charitycommission.gov.uk/About_us/About_the_Commission/regist
er_consultation_intro.aspx
Consultation deadline is 24/07/2012.