[Open-data-census] Mode-share in Open Data Census?

Mati Kalwill matias.kalwill at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 19:28:57 BST 2013

Hi there,

Fist things first, short intro: My name is Matías Kalwill, I'm from Buenos
Aires, and work in urban mobility initiatives very connected to the open
data, open innovation movements. I'm also a member of the recently launched
OKNF group in Argentina.

I read about the Open Data Census in the Open Transport Data mailing list,
and would like to know if you've considered including Modal Share data as a
key data set.

Modal Share <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modal_share#cite_note-1> is the
percentage of travelers using a particular type of transportation or number
of trips using said type. As some of you might know, this is often the
single most important data asset for decision making in urban mobility: it
informs us how people are moving in a city, and contributes to improving
the design of people-centered mobility services and infraestructure.

This data set is at the center of the debate of how we want to move in our
cities in the future, and including it in the Open Data Census would be a
big step forwards in making the data more available, transparent and
engaging everywhere.

Let me know your thoughts, would be happy to contribute on the
consideration of the data set for this or future census.

Best,

Matías Kalwill
@matikalwill