[Open-data-census] [okfn-discuss] A question about the Open Data census scoring system

Daniela Mattern daniela.mattern at it3s.org
Tue Oct 1 15:38:41 BST 2013

Hi Christian,

I have found a similar issue when comparing the scope of data for Austria
and Brazil - for instance, for emissions of polluents Brazil got a pretty
good score. But the data is far less complete than data on the Austrian
page.
Brazil only offers a simple list of impacts on carbondioxid emissions by
cutting rainforest ...

How can we ensure that country results are really comparable?

Daniela

2013/10/1 Christian Villum <christian.villum at okfn.org>

> Thanks Pierre, this is really valuable feedback. We're discussing the
> scoring system right now and will definitely take this into consideration.
> Any other feedback from list members on this topic will be warmly embraced
> as well.
>
> -Christian
>
> --
>
> Christian Villum
>
> Community Manager, Open Government Data + Local Groups Network
> skype: christianvillum  |  @villum <http://www.twitter.com/villum>
> The Open Knowledge Foundation <http://okfn.org/>
> *Empowering through Open Knowledge
> *http://okfn.org/  |  @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN>  |  OKF on Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork> |
> Blog <http://blog.okfn.org/>  |  Newsletter<http://okfn.org/about/newsletter>
>

> On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 2:39 PM, Pierre Chrzanowski <
> pierre.chrzanowski at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi All, I already got some feedbacks about the new census results and
>> most of the time people are quite surprised with the total score and
>> position of France. I think the fact that France (whose most of datasets
>> are openly licensed) and China (whose datasets are not open) share almost
>> the same score is one of the main reasons.
>>
>> I already expressed my concerns to Christian that the scoring system
>> could be misleading, or even irrelevant.
>> And regarding the first feedbacks I got, I must say I am now quite sure
>> it is misleading ;)
>>
>> Then, I would suggest to :
>>
>> 1/ remove the actual score which does not reflect openess of datasets in
>> the countries
>>
>> and
>>
>> 2/ create a scoring system that really value openess (i.e score 0 if
>> dataset not open)
>>
>> That being said, I am also wondering if it would not be better not have a
>> score at all ...
>>
>> What do you think ?
>>
>> I found a discussion on the scoring calculation methodology and how it
>> has evolved here
>> https://github.com/okfn/opendatacensus/issues/33?source=cc
>>

>> On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 12:49 PM, Christian Villum <
>> christian.villum at okfn.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Tatyana,
>>>
>>> Thank you for offering to help, we will definitely be explaining the
>>> methodology on the site as part of the coming updates.
>>> We'll also look into the EXMO tool, thanks for the tip.
>>>
>>> Let's stay in touch!
>>>
>>> -Christian
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Christian Villum
>>>
>>> Community Manager, Open Government Data + Local Groups Network
>>> skype: christianvillum  |  @villum <http://www.twitter.com/villum>
>>>
>>> The Open Knowledge Foundation <http://okfn.org/>
>>> *Empowering through Open Knowledge
>>> *http://okfn.org/  |  @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN>  |  OKF on
>>> Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork>  |  Blog<http://blog.okfn.org/> |
>>> Newsletter <http://okfn.org/about/newsletter>

> [...]

Daniela Mattern
Coordenadora Geral
IT3S - Instituto de Fomento à Tecnologia do Terceiro Setor
Fone: 0055-11-36285787
Celular: 0055-11-987 356 563

Siga nosso Twitter <https://twitter.com/#%21/it3s> | Acompanhe nosso
Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/IT3S.org>