[Open-data-census] Dataset Definitons

Andrew Stott andrew.stott at dirdigeng.com
Thu Oct 3 09:05:37 BST 2013

There are pretty extensive definitions of the "Data Availability Questions"
in the "Propose Revisions" screen - which expand on the summaries in the
tooltips on the Country screen.

However some of the definitions of the "Datasets" are less extensive.

For instance I have been doing some comparisons of the datasets offered by
various countries under "Postcodes/Zipcode" and "Government Spending".

For Postcodes the definition which comes up on the "Propose Revisions"
screen is simply "Database of postcodes / zipcodes and their corresponding
geolocations."  A key point to ensure consistency is what constitutes
"geolocation"?

For Government Spending the definition is "Government spending at a detailed
transactional level, that is at the level of month to month government
expenditure including money spent on specific contracts or with specific
vendors."  For at least one country the link is to a (very good and
extensive) *contract* database, which meets the contract point but does not
seem to give detailed, month by month, transactions.  (Perhaps we should
also have an additional dataset category for "contracts", but that it is a
different point)

Are more extensive definitions available for this and other datasets, either
as formal statements or in guidance derived from discussion on mailing lists
etc please?  I cannot find anything much in the archives of this list.

Regards

Andrew