[Open-data-census] machine readable definition

Ivan Begtin ibegtin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 16:07:37 BST 2013

Hi Graeme.

Even XML is not good enough.
For example, Russian Ministry of Interior published  datasets as XML files,
but XML files are not "machine readable", these XML files  actually are XML
spreadsheets, XLS files converted for portability. No XSD schema available
and those XML files are not much better than XLS files.

We need more clear definition not based on formats.

Best Regards,
   Ivan

2013/10/4 Graeme Jones <jonesiom at gmail.com>

> Just to clarify....
>
> With a corporate register, if the official site it structured HTML and it
> can be consistently but indirectly accessed if webscraped by
> opencorporates.com, should machine readable be yes?  As a lowest common
> denominator, I assumed no if you could not directly access data in CSV, XLS.
>
> What about XML and RSS?
>
> Is an API without a public website yes even though it is not actually that
> "open" to the general public and only presented by third parties?
>
> Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 20:07:13 +0100
>> From: "Andrew Stott" <andrew.stott at dirdigeng.com>
>> Subject: Re: [Open-data-census] Dataset Definitons
>> To: "'amin khechine'" <aminkhechine at yahoo.fr>,  "'open-data-census'"
>>         <open-data-census at lists.okfn.org>
>
> 6.  Is the data machine readable?  It?s served as structured HTML ?
>> probably yes
>>

> Thanks,
> Graeme Jones
> Country Editor
> Isle of Man
> www.linkedin.com/in/graemejonesiom

С уважением,
  Иван Бегтин

Директор НП "Информационная культура"
email: ibegtin at infoculture.ru
phone: +7 499 500 96 58, +7 910 426 68 83
website: http://infoculture.ru