[Open-data-census] Open Data Census Canada

Tracey P. Lauriault tlauriau at gmail.com
Sat Oct 5 18:50:43 BST 2013

I echo your sentiments, concurrently, best not to mislead with numbers and
paint an erroneous picture. We ask that our politicians and journalists not
do this, and best we too stick to some higher standards. Again, as stated
in earlier streams, the responses to the questions need to be qualified to
reflect the Canadian data reality. Many other jurisdictions have also
discussed these issues and have stated that they too are having difficulty.

The oknf folks, understand this and are continuously improving the tool.
 It is only by continuously communicating will we improve the method, and
better reflect local realities.

In addition, others in Canada who are statisticians and indicator
developers agree with the difficulty of a federated system and the nature
of these indicators. Also, we as open data advocates also need to develop
interprovincial and territorial collaborations, as our open data map has
some blank spots. And the Feds are not the sole arbiters of knowledge in
Canada.

We are all making progress, but I cannot in good conscious report without
qualifications, and readers of the results should be able to compare apples
and apples, and if that is not possible then they need some footnotes to
the results. That is what I and other editors are working on. We need to
trust the numbers and also, be able to advance an issue.

cheers

--
Tracey P. Lauriault
http://traceyplauriault.wordpress.com/2013/07/23/moving-to-ireland/