[Open-data-census] Information about the status of FOI-Legislation in Census countries

Daniela Mattern daniela.mattern at it3s.org
Fri Oct 18 13:02:49 BST 2013

Hi all,

I am continuing to look at census data and wonder about the correlation
between

number of open data sets and the existence and quality of Freedom of
Information Legislation.

Do we have this data?

It would be awesome, if country editors could provide information on the
availability of Freedom of Information Acts in their country, inform the
date when these Acts passed congress, etc. It would also be interesting to
have a link to the full text of the legislation.

What do you think about this?

Is it easy to include these fields in the census form? if not, a simple
Google Form could also help out.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Daniela

p.s. dreaming a bit further: recently I got to know the comparitive
constitutions project <http://comparativeconstitutionsproject.org/> funded
by Google.org. The application is available here:
https://www.constituteproject.org
I asked myself whether it won't be interesting to compare the different FOI
Acts in a similar way. By doing so, we could:

   - provide an ideal framework for access to information legislation
   - compare till what extend the text in the specific country is close to
   this ideal
   - advocate for change in countries that have very poor legislations
   - monitor the legislative process in countries that are still discussing
   there Freedom of Information Acts

What do you think?

--
Daniela Mattern