[Open-data-census] Feedback on standards for City Census datasets

James McKinney james at opennorth.ca
Mon Feb 17 17:14:15 UTC 2014

A very simple dataset that very few governments publish is simply a spreadsheet listing all elected officials for that government, along with contact information. A few governments in Canada have been adopting common CSV headers for this dataset.

If the officials are elected by district/division, a geospatial dataset should be made available to describe the boundaries of the electoral districts. With respect to format, all governments I've been in touch with have geospatial datasets available as ESRI Shapefile. GeoJSON is great, but it is very easy to convert a shapefile, so I don't think the census should demand GeoJSON.

Also, if the officials are elected by district/division, a spreadsheet should be made available mapping each address in the government's territory to the district in which it belongs. In many cases, it is not possible to simply use a geocoder and a boundaries file to determine which district an addresses belongs to; for example, in the US, each floor of an apartment building may belong to a different district.

Another valuable dataset is a simple listing of each elected position within government (i.e. a description of the position itself, not the person who holds it).

With these datasets, it is possible to build a basic but fundamental service like https://developers.google.com/civic-information/ which allows citizens to look up representatives by address. I can provide example datasets for each of these.

James