[Open-data-census] open-data-census Digest, Vol 18, Issue 3

Laura James laura.james at okfn.org
Mon Nov 3 19:45:18 UTC 2014

The CD ROM example is a really nice one - we should have that written up as
an example in a methodology webpage "nerdy appendix" or something. I think
a lot of the items in this thread show how we can make things clearer for
folks around corner cases, and little real world examples are great for
that.

Laura

On 3 November 2014 16:30, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:

> [...]
> in a specific format but not publicly online.
>

>> For instance, I am being told that spending government data in France
>> exist in reusable format and in bulk. But I cannot access the data so why
>> should I believe this ? Should I go to the Ministry ?
>>

> I would say that is definitely a stretch: if data is not available to
> anyone then it would be impossible to know if bulk so i would mark this as
> no or unsure in this case. Similarly, on reusable. However, if e.g. the
> Ministry made the data available to researchers on CD-ROMs you would be
> able to answer this even if not publicly available.
>
> Rufus
>

>> Then, there are actually some questions that consider public availability
>> implicitly in their definition such as for bulk [1]. Two questions are
>> chained then.
>>
>> I hope that we will be able to sort that out before we publish anything.
>> Otherwise, I know there are some people ready to fire :)
>>
>> Best
>>
>> [1] Data is available in bulk if the whole dataset can be downloaded or
>> accessed easily. Conversely it is considered non-bulk if the citizens are
>> limited to just getting parts of the dataset (for example, if restricted to
>> querying a web form and retrieving a few results at a time from a very
>> large database).
>>

>> On Mon Nov 03 2014 at 3:25:59 PM Mor Rubinstein <morchickit at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> HI guys,
>>>
>>> Again, thanks for writing.
>>>
>>> The only chain that we mentioned in the tutorial is the follows:
>>> If the data is not available, then the system will mark the rest of the
>>> questions as 'no'.
>>>
>>> There is no other chain in the system, and we were expected each
>>> parameter to be taken into consideration independently. This is done, among
>>> the rest, in order to allow to different stakeholders in the open
>>> government sphere to understand what they need to focus on in order to
>>> improve they openness.
>>>
>>> I will update the reviewers guide, the site and the tutorial today in
>>> order to unsure that we will consistency and for the documentation for the
>>>
>>> Thank you guys for bringing it up, you are making the index better. :-)
>>>
>>> All the best,
>>> Mor

> *Rufus PollockFounder and President | skype: rufuspollock | @rufuspollock
> <https://twitter.com/rufuspollock>Open Knowledge <http://okfn.org/> - see
> how data can change the world**http://okfn.org/ <http://okfn.org/> |
> @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN> | Open Knowledge on Facebook
> <https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork> |  Blog <http://blog.okfn.org/>*
>
> The Open Knowledge Foundation is a not-for-profit organisation.  It is
> incorporated in England & Wales as a company limited by guarantee, with
> company number 05133759.  VAT Registration № GB 984404989. Registered
> office address: Open Knowledge Foundation, St John’s Innovation Centre,

*Dr Laura JamesCEO  *

*skype: laura.james  |  *@LaurieJ <http://twitter.com/LaurieJ>

*Open Knowledge <http://okfn.org/>    -    A world where knowledge creates
power for the many, not the fewhttp://okfn.org/ <http://okfn.org/>  |
 @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN>  |  Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork>  |  Blog <http://blog.okfn.org/>
<http://okfn.org/about/newsletter>Open Knowledge Community Stories
| http://okfncommunity.tumblr.com/ <http://okfncommunity.tumblr.com/> | see
how people are changing the worldThe Open Knowledge Foundation is a