[open-data-manual] Weekly update - move to Github, infrastructure for translations

Tim McNamara tim.mcnamara at okfn.org
Wed Aug 3 05:54:23 UTC 2011

Hello everyone. A lot has gone on behind the scenes of the manual over
the last week and a bit.

In this email:

 - Github
 - translations
 - housekeeping

Github
=====

https://github.com/okfn/opendatamanual

We are now focusing on Github for hosting the project. I resisted for
a while, but I think it's a good move. My primary motivation is that
it reduces barriers to entry. For example, to suggest a change to a
typo, all you need to do is click on a line when reading the source.
Github will do all the nasty command line stuff for you and allow you
to submit a patch straight away. Win.

Translations
=========

https://www.transifex.net/projects/p/open-data-manual/

I have create a Transifex project. This is a site that shares the load
of translation between all projects that are part of it. That means,
if we translate the term "Open knowledge is good", every project on
the site gets to benefit. There are just over 1,500 projects in the
system.

I wasn't looking forward to need to manage a Pootle server. Credits to
Rufus for finding this service :)

(For those of you in the Ubuntu world, you'll know about Launchpad. I
have had trouble encouraging people to use Launchpad for translations
because it is fairly difficult to get up and running. Let's see how
things go on Transifex)

Housekeeping

There are a few documents which are now out of date. If you notice
anything which I haven't fixed by the end of the week, do let me or
the list know.