[open-development] Getting started with the open knowledge in development Working Group

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Tue Jun 23 18:40:02 UTC 2009

Thanks for your email Chris!

A couple of questions:

 (i) Are people broadly happy with the purpose of the WG? (Which is
at: http://wiki.okfn.org/wg/development) Any suggestions for
improvements, modifications or additions would be welcomed! Also
anyone interested in joining - please get in touch!

 (ii) If this looks right - I guess a manifesto would fit with 3.
which is to encourage "best practices regarding licensing and
publication of development related open content and open data". My
feeling is that there are two bits here:

    * Why open? -- citing any official reports, academic studies,
arguments, anecdotal evidence, etc. about why sharing knowledge (and
particularly allowing re-use as well as access) is a good idea.
Perhaps also mentioning cases where open knowledge or open data has
been valuable in development contexts, how data sharing might improve
situations 'on the ground', etc.

   * How to make it open. -- with specific recommendations for
publishing and licensing content/data. This could be quite generic,
and could cite opendefinition.org as a standard.

What do people think?

Also any other ideas for projects we could undertake?

What do people think about having a virtual session to document
development related resources? We could do this using the tag
'development' on CKAN:

 http://ckan.net/tag/read/development

--
Jonathan Gray