[open-development] Fwd: Comments on 'Unlocking the potential of aid information'

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Mon Oct 12 13:28:30 UTC 2009

Thanks for your suggestion Francis!

Jonathan

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Hi
I'd like to make a specific comment on the 'Unlocking the potential of
aid information' consultation.
The section '2.0 Potential IATI information' does not explicitly
mention evaluations and evaluation reports, but I think that recording
this sort of information would be invaluable. I don't know of any
technical standards for storing information on evaluations, although
others in the Working Group might.
The evaluation of aid funds is currently extremely poor. This
fundamentally limits the transparency of aid and means that those who
distribute it are unaccountable. Those evaluations that do exist are
therefore very important, in terms of understanding what works and
encouraging others to test the effectiveness of their work.
It would be helpful if the evaluation information recorded a) whether
the evaluation was overall positive or negative b) how
methodologically sound the evaluation was (e.g. on the Maryland
Scale).
Thanks - and keep up the good work.
Francis Bacon
bacon.francis at gmail.com