[open-development] Open MDG

Tariq Khokhar tariq.khokhar at devinit.org
Mon Nov 1 08:28:12 UTC 2010

Hi Rolf,

I'd also be interested in a session with an international development / MDG
focus as Open Government Data Camp.

At aidinfo, we've also been speaking with a few Dutch, British and American
NGOs around opening up data and I'm keen to talk more about applications
that do something useful with it.

With kind regards,

Tariq

On 31/10/2010 00:54, "Rolf Kleef" <r.kleef at nivocer.com> wrote:

> Hi Rufus,
>
> Would be good to have a brainstorm/build session at the Open Government
> Data Camp about this?
>
> Several Dutch development NGOs and the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs
> are exploring open data, so we're moving towards finding best practices
> and appropriate standards to make data sets available, and building
> application(s) to demonstrate benefits of "being open".
>
> One of the challenges at hand here is showing the contribution of Dutch
> development aid towards the MDGs. An application for that fits the
> criteria for the Worldbank challenge...
>
> Rolf.
>
> On 30/10/10 02:19, Rufus Pollock wrote:
>> Interesting - I also wonder whether it is tongue in cheek (given the
>> basecamp screenshot).
>>
>> I did something with the MDG a few years back (at the time the MDG
>> dataset wasn't available in bulk so scraping it was actually a useful
>> thing to do - see<http://ckan.net/package/mdg>  for more info):
>>
>> <http://openeconomics.net/mdg/>
>>
>> I was thinking about dusting this off and finding some collaborators
>> who might be interested in working on this for
>> <http://appsfordevelopment.challengepost.com/>
>>
>> If there is anyone interested in this sort of thing or the world banks
>> apps challenge let me know!
>>
>> Rufus
>>
>> On 29 October 2010 18:24, Jonathan Gray<jonathan.gray at okfn.org>  wrote:
>>> Looks interesting! Anyone know what is planned?
>>>
>>> http://openmdg.org/
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jonathan Gray
>>>
>>> Community Coordinator
>>> The Open Knowledge Foundation
>>> http://blog.okfn.org
>>>
>>> http://twitter.com/jwyg
>>> http://identi.ca/jwyg

Tariq Khokhar
Technology Innovation Analyst

Mob:  +44 (0) 7896 442055
Skype: tariq.khokhar
Email: tariq.khokhar at devinit.org

Development Initiatives, Keward Court, Keward Business Park, Jocelyn Drive,
Wells, Somerset, BA5 1DB, UK
Tel:  +44 (0) 1749 671343 (switchboard)
Fax:  +44 (0) 1749 676721
devinit.org | globalhumanitarianassistance.org | aidinfo.org