[open-development] Development mapping initiatives

Tariq Khokhar tariq.khokhar at devinit.org
Thu Nov 4 06:36:02 UTC 2010

Hi Emily,

Thanks for sharing this.

I like the ability to download the source data in CSV format on mapping for
results. Is this geocoded data also available through something like the
data.worldbank.org API? It would be pretty straightforward to convert it
into IATI format too.

While I was in the US last month, I talked to Jess and some folks at the WB
about the geocoding process and wanted to get a sense of the effort required
to do the one-off geocoding of existing project data.

For the WB data, I noted an average of 2-3 person weeks per country and
around 75 minutes per project.

Does that sound right? Is there anything else you'd say on the matter?

It's useful to have this kind of estimate when advocating to others that
might do the same. Of course in the long term, one would expect less of a
need for these one-off geocoding exercises.

With kind regards,

Tariq

On 04/11/2010 01:50, "Emily Kallaur" <ekallaur at dgfoundation.org> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Thought you might be interested in a recent event held at the World Bank on
> mapping initiatives
> (http://blog.aiddata.org/2010/10/author-of-this-blog-entry-ilona-makinen.html)
> to improve development effectiveness. AidData and the Bank have been working
> to geocode WB projects and make the information available online‹now you can
> see maps with the results for about 70 countries on the AidData site
> (http://aiddata.org/geocoding) as well as other ways of mashing up the data on
> the WB site (http://maps.worldbank.org <http://maps..worldbank.org/> ).
>  Several other mapping initiatives (Ushahidi, Interaction, Map Kibera,
> Greenbelt Africa) were also discussed at the event, a video of which is
> available here
> (mms://wbmswebcast1.worldbank.org/WBI/2010-10-28/Mapping_for_Results.asf
> <mms://wbmswebcast1.worldbank.org/WBI/2010-10-28/Mapping_for_Results.asf> ).
>
> Best,
> Emily

> Emily Kallaur, Manager, Communications and Marketing
> Development Gateway
> 1889 F Street, NW, 2nd Floor  €  Washington, DC  20006  USA
> (T/F) +1.202.572.9227
> Email: ekallaur at developmentgateway.org
> <blocked::mailto:ekallaur at developmentgateway.org>
> www.developmentgateway.org <http://www.developmentgateway.org>
>
> Information Tools. Global Partnerships. Effective Aid.

Tariq Khokhar
Technology Innovation Analyst

Mob:  +44 (0) 7896 442055
Skype: tariq.khokhar
Email: tariq.khokhar at devinit.org

Development Initiatives, Keward Court, Keward Business Park, Jocelyn Drive,
Wells, Somerset, BA5 1DB, UK
Tel:  +44 (0) 1749 671343 (switchboard)
Fax:  +44 (0) 1749 676721
devinit.org | globalhumanitarianassistance.org | aidinfo.org