[open-development] [open-science] Centre for Global Development adopts open data policy for publications

Paola Di Maio paola.dimaio at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 19:28:36 UTC 2011

Thank you Chris

>  Key Perspectives are independent  consultants, so not subject to FoI >except where they hold data on behalf of others, including JISC who >commissioned this work. I have some sympathy for their practice; >qualitative data are often this kind of one to one interview data and >potentially very sensitive.

I suggested that the data could be anonymized instead of being
destroyed  - so that I would not have to know the name of the person,
but still have an idea of their demographics, for example - job title,
institution,department, city, town etc. I would really like to analyse
such data according to different segmentation in relation to
geographical differences for example, would there be differences
between north and south, or between different institutions, and
disciplines, as this could serve the public good and provide
additional science for the same buck.

I am currently carrying out similar research, and I have nowhere near
the budget that JISC provides for this kind of reports to be
researched and published, and I have to rely with much more notional
datasets (smaller samples) . I even hitchike and camp outdoors to be
able to collect my data within my budget

so yes, privacy of interviewees should be protected, but the data
should be kept in anonymised form for both validation/replication, as
well as for further manipulation

the two do not have to be mutually exclusive, if the management of
science is properly handled,

to have no record at all is also not good practice, for the reasons
stated in the due diligence article Tim posted

>  I don't think JISC has a formal policy on retention of underlying data; >it does have policies on openness, and on retention of outputs. It >might be worth pressing them.

It is going to be my pleasure  :-)

>Even so, the privacy issues in qualitative data would need to be taken >into account.

Sure thing

Paola (she :-)