[open-development] [okfn-discuss] "Open Government Data Index" Re: Anyone interested? Creating an "Open Knowledge Index"

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Jul 3 09:08:34 UTC 2011

The OKFN has a site IsItOpenData see http://www.isitopendata.org/ and
http://planet.okfn.org/category/isitopendata/. (This is somewhat inspired by
WhatDoTheyKnow.org. ) On this site you can make a request to a data holder
and enquire as to whether the data is Open. Assuming they reply, the
response is recorded so the question doesn't need to be re-asked. If you are
making requests then this is a good way to do it.

On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 5:14 AM, <koltzenburg at w4w.net> wrote:

>  Good morning Guo,
>
> thank you very much for your project initiative, my congratulations
>
> am I getting you correctly that such an index should address open
> government data in particular?

Is it open data is not restricted to science or government and I'd suggest
we don't add restrictions on the scope of your proposed index. Sciencfe data
is needed by government and government produces data used by science (and
this applies to all fields).

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics