[open-development] [open-government] [okfn-discuss] Anyone interested? Creating an "Open Knowledge Index"

Ton Zijlstra ton.zijlstra at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 12:28:04 UTC 2011

Hi all,

Yes as Daniel says we are building a scoreboard for EU Member States on the
progress being made with regard to opening up data for re-use. In a previous
incarnation that was already part of the epsiplatform.eu but it's going to
be revamped. Currently we are in discussion with the EC on which indicators
to use, both to make top-down efforts (policies, legal framworks) as
bottom-up efforts (open data movement, local activities, court cases)
visible.

As this is a developing field we don't want to lock the indicators in, but
are adding a 'collector' for a narrative database to be able to spot
emerging factors that can serve as indicators. That means we will be
collecting stories/experiences from data users, data holders, and all the
other stakeholders on what they actually do/go through when trying to deal
with open data. The patterns over a body of those stories are of interest to
us. It may show new themes (like data journalism popped up at some point),
new obstacles, opportunities, or enduring barriers.

best,

Ton
ePSIplatform community steward
Interdependent Thoughts