[open-development] Summary "Open Knowledge Index" Discussion

Jose M. Alonso josema at webfoundation.org
Tue Jul 5 07:14:47 UTC 2011

Dear Guo, all,

I have not followed the discussion closely but wanted to add my two cents.

I'm sure most of you are aware of the Open Data feasibility studies in Ghana and Chile by the Web Foundation and CTIC:
http://www.webfoundation.org/2011/05/open-government-data-reports-published/

You'll find there the methodology that was used and an extensive questionnaire developed to run the in-country interviews that gives some hints on what should be measured in terms of indicators for an index.

Before approaching the studies this way, we tried to build an experimental Open Data Index; we even had close to 200 indicators on various categories such as technical, socio-economic and others.

It was an interesting experiment but got push back from several members of our advisory group for very good reasons. For example, it's still too early to say what variables relate to Open Data, how and how they correlate (although we tried as a start), i.e. you will find lots of issues around 2) as you already mentioned but most could not be solved. The best you could do is to experiment (as we did).
Additionally, you would need a big sample if you want to test and index like this, not just two countries or a subset of EU countries. Not an statistician at all, but heard this from those with that expertise and I believe they're right.

The Web Foundation has certainly interest in this area. We are developing a Web Index, designed to measure growth and usage of the Web, and guide future investment in the Web. We might want to revisit the Open Data Index.

One of our goals of the Open Data Initiative I'm leading is to develop a Monitoring and Evaluation framework for Open Data programs that would allow those investing on them to measure the impact across dimensions; this would have to do with the Index.

Said all of that, I'm restricting my comments to Open Data, so can imagine that an Open Knowledge Index will be even much more difficult to develop.

Hope this helps.
Josema.

--

Jose M. Alonso