[open-development] Open Data initiatives in Southern Africa

Adi Eyal adi at sarpam.net
Mon Nov 21 18:24:18 UTC 2011

Hi All

I am involved in a DFID-funded project called the Southern African
Regional Programme on Access to Medicines (SARPAM). We are working
with the SADC secretariat and member states to improve access to
medicines in the region through strengthening regional institutions as
well facilitating regional cooperation. One facet of this programme is
the development of a platform for information sharing across member
states. My role in the project is to champion the open sharing of data
across the region so as to encourage inter-state collaboration.
Already, from the meager data sharing that has taken place, we are
seeing that procurement agencies in a number of countries are finding
themselves in a more advantageous position when negotiating with
pharmaceutical companies.

The process of opening up databases is far from easy however as many
countries do not have established policies on information sharing and
it's easier to restrict access than it is to make data available. I am
reaching out to any other organisations and individuals active in the
region who may have an interest in this initiative or are involved in
related programmes of their own and who may want to share insights.

Best Regards
Adi

--
Adi Eyal
InfoHub Manager

phone +27 (0)11 880 6993 | fax +27 (0)11 880 6980
mobile +27 (0)780142469
skype adieyalcas
www.sarpam.net

The information contained in this communication is confidential and
may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed and others authorised to
receive it. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby
notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any
action in reliance of the contents of this information is strictly
prohibited and may be unlawful. SARPAM is liable for neither the
proper and complete transmission of the information contained in this
communication or for any delay in its receipt. The views expressed in
this communication are not necessarily the views of SARPAM. If you
have received this message in error, please notify SARPAM immediately,
tel nr +27 11 880 6980.