[open-development] #OpenDataLDN Meetup #2: opendata within ICT4D

Tim Davies tim at practicalparticipation.co.uk
Tue Oct 4 15:21:32 UTC 2011

Hey Mark,

Great to hear about this work.

If you are looking at SMS based feedback on the ground in Nairobi and Kibera
areas then you might want to take a look at SODNET's Huduma platform:
http://huduma.info/  - It's based upon a heavily adapted Ushadi base, but
works to:

   - Link SMS and web-based reports to 'services' like clinics etc. -
   currently drawing a lot of the service data from the Kenya Open Data Portal;
   - Link reports to people who can respond to them;

It might be interesting to see whether or not it has any 'service' data for
Kibera - an how reports in Kibera could be better connected from
geographical locations to particular services; and from particular services
to people who can make a difference about it.

All the best

Tim

2011/10/4 mark herringer <mark at countryman.co.za>

> Following an event last night held at the Open Knowledge Foundation I'd
> like to share what was discussed.
>
> Our group explored a theme focused on the use of open data within the Map
> Kibera project and ICT4D in general. Part of the conversation focused on
> FrontlineSMS and if it could be used to collect and share open data. Sarah
> Johns from Plan International, who has experience working in Kibera,
> confirmed that there are Social Entrepreneurs looking for opportunities
> within ICT4D.
>
> Prior to the event we made contact with Mikel and Erica Hagen from the Map
> Kibera project who directed us to http://www.openstreetmap.org/
>
> ''In terms of mapping data, pretty much everything collected is in
> OpenStreetMap itself, so the tool ecosystem of OSM applies to Map Kibera as
> well.
> We also have a good selection of imagery:
> http://new.mapkibera.org/themes/imagery/ '
>
> Our initial approach was to:
>
> 1) Get a feel for the community development needs.
> 2) Start the process of establishing the data in data repository like
> http://thedatahub.org/ or http://buzzdata.com/
> 3) Workshop with stakeholders to build applications
> 4) Identifying missing data needed for application development
>
> Reference was made to the
> http://www.practicalparticipation.co.uk/odi/2011/09/ikm-paper-towards-linked-development-data-practical-issues/ and
> the work Tim Davies has been conducting.
>
> The questions raised during the event include:
>
> How should security be managed to ensure data integrity?
> What will make users feel secure?
> How do we share the open data with users?
> How do we make open data demand driven?
> How should NGO's better define and share their data?
> Who are the existing organisations working in Kibera?
> What is the best way to communicate with users on the ground?
>
> best wishes
> Mark Herringer

http://www.timdavies.org.uk
07834 856 303.