[open-development] #OpenDataLDN Meetup #2: opendata within ICT4D

Mikel mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 5 12:43:54 UTC 2011

Sarah, Mark, good questions raised! Map Kibera will be starting a full process to convene online (and off) a directory of community actors in Kibera, created by and for the community, as well as externally. As youve explored, community level transparency raises another whole set of concerns.

Tim, ke open data is great, and the case of kibera raises interesting questions generally. Most all the data there is aggregated to constituency level, and kibera shares its constituency with the wealthy rural suburb of Karen. All the data is therefore skewed in a way that prevents analysis at the community level. A seemingly sensible and innocuous policy decision around open data results in a real issue for community level open data.
http://groundtruthinitiative.org/2011/08/09/opening-data-in-kenya-my-method-is-to-hack/

Mikel on the phone