[open-development] London Development Data Challenge - 25/26 August 2012

Mark Brough mark.brough at publishwhatyoufund.org
Tue Aug 7 11:50:52 UTC 2012

Dear lists,

Please join us for the London Development Data
Challenge<http://developmentdatachallenge.org/>at the Guardian’s
offices on
*25/26 August 2012*.

*Register here: *http://ddclondon.eventbrite.co.uk/

The idea is this:

1. We gather as many questions as possible from as many people as possible.

2. We’ll work those questions into interesting, clear and concise
challenges for developers.

3. Developers (including myself) could choose one of these challenges,
something else from the DDC website, or anything else that interests them.

4. Developers will be encouraged to commit code – even really dodgy code –
early and frequently, so that those participating remotely can collaborate,
and everything is passed from this event to other events taking place
around the world.

5. We’ll share the results – from cool pieces of code that do interesting
things, to fully-fledged prototype apps and visualisations – publicly and
with our partners, as well as with other events.

*Find out more about the event: *
http://developmentdatachallenge.org/events/london

* *

*More information via the Guardian’s Global Development site: *
http://www.guardian.co.uk/global-development/2012/aug/02/development-data-challenge-hackday

Whether or not you can attend:

1. Please *encourage others to attend*, and use the hashtag: #ddc2012

2. *Tell us what you want to know*. Add your questions onto
http://developmentdatachallenge.org/questions

3. *Hold your own event*: We’re really keen for those in other places to
hold their own events and we can give you some support. Use the questions
or challenges however you want. We are working on a new section of the site
to help all the events share code and apps with each other.

4. *Join us online*. I’ll send out more details nearer the time of how you
can participate in the event from wherever you are.

Development Data Challenge is supported by aidinfo <http://www.aidinfo.org>,
DFID <http://www.dfid.gov.uk>, The
Guardian<http://www.guardian.co.uk/global-development>,
Open Aid Register <http://www.openaidregister.org>, Open Knowledge
Foundation <http://www.okfn.org>, Publish What You
Fund<http://www.publishwhatyoufund.org>,
SIDA <http://www.sida.se> and World Bank Finances<http://finances.worldbank.org>

*Register now: *http://ddclondon.eventbrite.co.uk/

Please get in touch if you’ve got any questions... great to get your
feedback and ideas.

All the best,

Mark

--

Mark Brough
Publish What You Fund

Southbank House, Black Prince Road, London, SE1 7SJ

http://www.publishwhatyoufund.org

Tel: +44 20 3176 2513
Skype: mark-brough