[open-development] Five Stars of Open Data Engagement

Tim Davies tim at practicalparticipation.co.uk
Mon Jan 23 19:37:05 UTC 2012

Hey all,

At an unconference for UK government technology people on Saturday we were
exploring what good engagement around an open data initiative might look
like.

The result was a draft sketch of a possible '5 stars of open data
engagement' to go alongside existing 5-star models of open linked data.

The draft suggests that open data initiatives should:

** Be demand driven*

** * Provide context to data*

** * * Support conversation*

** * * * Build capacity & skills*

** * * * * Collaborate with the community*
With the idea that each of these things can be addressed at both a
technical and a social level (e.g. demand driven involves creating tech to
let people request datasets; but also have the processes in place to
respond to requests; supporting conversations could mean comment threads
against datasets, but also going out and joining conversations about the
data, what it means and how it can be used).

Blog post at
http://www.timdavies.org.uk/2012/01/21/5-stars-of-open-data-engagement/ and
Google Doc where you can add comments on the draft at:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MnHG7o98gwy7u_x6t2ft6N0bJwW1xyBuvZtsCyW38no/edit#heading=h.9i158q2qios7

As these were developed in the context of thinking about UK national and
local open government data initiatives I would be really interested to see
how well they might apply to other open data initiatives: so all feedback /
critique / comment very welcome.

All the best

Tim

--