[open-development] Five Stars of Open Data Engagement

Tim Davies tim at practicalparticipation.co.uk
Mon Jan 23 20:12:12 UTC 2012

Hey Michael,

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 8:02 PM, Michael Roberts <michael.roberts at acclar.org
> wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> Excellent!   I'm curious about a few things.
> >
> > * * * Support conversation
> related to this, was the idea of inclusiveness discussed?

Not really. Which is an omission. The detailed questions I've got under
this heading to flesh it out are:

*"Can people comment on datasets, or create a structured conversation
around data to network with other data users? Do you join the
conversations? Are there easy ways to contact the individual 'data owner'
in your organisation to ask them questions about the data, or to get them
to join the conversation? Are there offline opportunities to have
conversations that involve your data?"*
*
*
*But it would be interesting to think about how to frame a requirement for
inclusiveness within this (the idea is these stars could apply at both the
level of a dataset or an initiative). Perhaps: "Are key stakeholders in the
data involved in the conversation?" *

> > * * * * Build capacity & skills
>
> Lastly, what about impact?   and ongoing monitoring and evaluation
> throughout the lifecycle of the project?

So in part, I would see monitoring and evaluation feeding into the first *
- being demand driven. Originally we phrased this around being 'demand and
need driven', but given it's not clear how an open data initiative would
identify need distinct from demand we switched to just the one.

Impact is trickier to locate: one of the challenges of evaluating impact of
an open data initiative is asking 'impact on what?' - so whilst some
initiatives have clear stated goals to evaluate against, others are more
based on the idea of providing data as a raw material for a wide range of
activities. But perhaps monitoring, evaluation, learning and impact can
also come into the 5th * on collaboration - adding a question around 'Do
you collaborate with others to evaluate your open data initiative and
identify ways to improve it's contribution to change?'

Tim