[open-development] Open Data at the NTEN Nonprofits and Data Summit in Seattle, 8 Aug 2012

Tobias Eigen tobias at saidia.org
Fri Jul 20 17:31:31 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

I am going to be leading a 60 minute session about open data at the
Nonprofits and Data Summit on 8 August in Seattle. It's a free event
sponsored organized by NTEN with sponsorship by Google. Live streaming will
be available. The details are at
http://www.nten.org/events/other/2012/08/08/nonprofits-data-summit-measurable-results

The brief description of my session from that page:

   - *Technical: Making the Case for Going Open Data - Tobias
Eigen<http://www.nten.org/events/other/2012/08/08/nonprofits-data-summit-measurable-results#>
   *

According to the Open Definition, “A piece of content or data is open if
anyone is free to use, reuse, and redistribute it — subject only, at most,
to the requirement to attribute and share-alike.” While Open Data may not
be for everyone, all data-driven organizations should look at their data
and consider going open data with at least some of it for their own good
and for the good of the communities they serve. This session will focus on
understanding what Open Data means, why it is important, and how
organizations can go Open Data.
I have to get my slides in by next Friday and will be working on it early
next week. Generally speaking the session will not be deeply technical (and
it can't be as I'm not really a data wrangler) however will be geared
towards helping decision makers and their techies to figure out how to go
open data. I'd welcome specific points that help to make the case as well
as slides, visualisations and other resources that I can show to help
organizations understand the process of making existing data open and
designing new projects so that any data generated is open.

I'm also writing an article for NTEN:Change, a newsletter geared towards
decision makers, more specifically about my experiences with making the
case to the Kabissa board of directors that we should take Kabissa's
organization directory open, as outlined at http://kabissa.org/open . The
Kabissa directory is not yet open but at least the board has given the go
ahead to include open data features (eg an API and ability to download
selections from the directory in XML and CSV formats) in future
development.

Warm regards,

Tobias

*//\//\//\//\//\//\**//\//\//\//\//\//\**//\//\//\//\//\//\*
*
*
*Tobias Eigen*
9670 Olympus Beach Rd NE