[open-development] practical answers

Robert Cartridge rob.cartridge at practicalaction.org.uk
Fri Sep 21 14:45:54 UTC 2012

Hi

I am looking for some help and advice. I' have perused your website but
not sure quite where I fit!

I run the knowledge sharing service of the international development NGO
Practical Action. We have a series of websites attracting more than 1.5
million visitors per year, to download information about appropriate
technologies for poverty reduction.

The main site is www.practicalanswers.org The information is free of
charge and "open source". We want to get it as far and wide as we can.
Increasingly we want to provide feeds to other websites. Most recently
we have had contact with the people at http://www.reegle.info/ who are
encouraging us to adopt their metadata scheme "linked open data" in
order to facilitate better sharing and collaboration.

Before we go down this route we wanted to try and map whether there are
any other open metadata schemes which we should be aware of so that we
don't end up investing in a potential "beta max". As a non- techy
marketing person, I am looking for some help in finding my way through
this maze - can you point me in the right direction please?

Many thanks

Rob

Rob Cartridge

Head of Practical Answers

Practical Action
T 01926 634556
M 07867 507069

Skype rcartridge-practicalactionuk

Twitter @RobCartridge

P.S. Have you seen our new technical brief on appropriate technologies
for baking?. Find out more at http://practicalaction.org/baking
<http://practicalaction.org/baking>

Practical Action uses technology to challenge poverty, working with poor
women and men around the world. http://www.practicalaction.org/

Practical Action
The Schumacher Centre for Technology and Development, Bourton on Dunsmore, Rugby, Warwickshire, UK, CV23 9QZ.
Practical Action is a charity registered in England and Wales, and a company limited by guarantee in England no. 871954.
VAT Reg No. 880992476. Reg Charity No. 247257.