[open-development] practical answers

Chris Watkins chriswaterguy at appropedia.org
Fri Sep 21 16:46:23 UTC 2012

Hi Rob,

Re the GNU FDL that you're using now: An equivalent license in its key
points is the CC-by-sa <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/>.
While the GNU FDL is an older licensing meant mainly for software
documentation, CC-by-sa is a more user-friendly and practical license.
(E.g. if making a hard copy of licensed work, the GNU GDL would require you
to print out the many-page license along with it.)

CC-by-sa is the more popular license these days, and it's used by Wikimedia
projects, as well as Appropedia (which I'm involved with). We'd be very
happy to see PA using CC-by-sa, as would make sharing easier.

Cheers
Chris

On 22 September 2012 01:15, Robert Cartridge <
rob.cartridge at practicalaction.org.uk> wrote:

> HI Jonathan ****
>
> ** **
>
> Thanks for your fast response. At the moment we have a GNU Free
> documentation licence allowing people to freely copy, distribute and
> multiply. See our terms and conditions at
> http://practicalaction.org/answers-terms-and-conditions I know we have
> talked about creative commons in the past so I will definitely revisit
> that. I will also see if we can get the copyright into the site footer – as
> I just struggled to find it myself!****
>
> ** **
>
> The “data” that we produce is mainly in the form of technical briefs –
> these are accessible pdfs with simple engineering solutions for people who
> work in development. There are about 400 of them varying for yoghurt making
> (as a way to diversify income as a cattle owner) which you can see here
> http://practicalaction.org/yoghurt-incubator  to building a micro hydro
> electric generating station.
> http://practicalaction.org/micro-hydro-power-2****
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> Increasingly we are trying to move away from pdf and also include videos
> and audio files – which are more accessible to the people we are trying to
> reach****
>
> ** **
>
> Hope this gives you a better idea of what we are about****
>
> ** **
>
> Rob Cartridge****
>
> Head of Practical Answers****
>
> Practical Action
> T 01926 634556
> M 07867 507069****
>
> Skype rcartridge-practicalactionuk****
>
> Twitter @RobCartridge
>
> P.S. Have you seen our new technical brief on appropriate technologies for
> baking?. Find out more at http://practicalaction.org/baking****
>
> ** **

Chris Watkins

Appropedia.org - Sharing knowledge to build rich, sustainable lives.