[open-development] DEBATE: Women's land rights and open data: land coalition debate...

Tim Davies tim at practicalparticipation.co.uk
Tue Feb 12 22:40:58 GMT 2013

Hello all,

Laura has just shared a synthesis of the first three days discussion on
land rights and open data over on the main Land Portal site, and pasted in
below. I've added some thoughts, particularly focussing on issues of open
data and gender, sparked by a recent First Monday article, over here
http://www.opendataimpacts.net/2013/02/open-data-land-gender/.

I know the land portal team would particular welcome insights from anyone
who has worked with digital platforms for crowdsourcing content, or sharing
open data. In my blog post I ask whether Open Street Map perhaps has a
place in collating land ownership and land rights data?

All the best

Tim

----
From: Laura (laura.meggiolaro at landportal.info)

****Synthesis for the first 3 days****

Here it is a synthesis of the very three first days of discussion. The
debate is taking place on five
different on-line platforms and tries to bridge ICTs and land rights
expertise, to explore the potential
of e-communities to promote inclusive land governance, with a special focus
on women’s land
rights.

On how collaborative online platforms can contribute to transparency and
informed debate in
natural resources governance:
• A first comment comes from Candy Schibli, from the World Resource
Institute, who
presented FocusonLand. Candy raises important questions on how the
information produced
can reach the very people able to make change on the ground (i.e. mobile
devices?); how
the right partners can be involved; how can we better identify the existing
information gaps?
All these questions go directly at the heart of our discussion: how
existing platforms can
improve and have an higher impact on the ground? I look forward to hearing
the reactions
from other participants!
• Gaby Gomez Garcia raises important issues too: how can information
contained in on-
line platforms reach rural women, if many of them are illiterate and lack
of land literacy?
How information can become meaningful on the ground and produce change?
Women
leaders and young women have more opportunity, but often land data are
“cold” and land
processes underneath the data are not explained in a practical, easy way.
Nonetheless,
she gives an interesting example on how on-line platforms contributed in
the past to the
monitoring of land registration programs, by providing data, which were
discussed and often
contested by leaders and activists.
• Fladei, who participated on Wikigender, introduces us to a very
interesting project,
developed by MIT in Mexico, that enabled farmers to find the price and corn
via text
message (sms) so as to better negotiate with the market.

On sharing examples on monitoring women’s land rights:
• Gaby Gomez Garcia confirms that adequate women’s representation and
participation
in land processes is key to transform laws and regulations in reality - and
monitor these
processes - together with the need to identify measurable indicators, and
the use of media,
like the radio and booklets, that can spread more easily tools for ensuring
and monitoring
women’s land rights in rural areas.
• Enrique Ligot, who participated on the Land Portal, as well as on
Wikigender, drawing from
the experience of the Philippines, points out the need to put in place a
critical mass of tools
to make monitoring women’s land rights possible, including gender-sensitive
monitoring
systems – very interesting! Let us know more! – informing women of their
land rights, so
that they can themselves critically monitor what happen, and informing
other actors. And
also cites the Land Titling Computerization Project (LTCP) as example of
platform that aims
at providing more security to land rights – It would be very interesting to
know also from
others on this project.

------
On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 4:26 PM, Tim Davies <tim at practicalparticipation.co.uk