[open-development] [open-government] Open Contracting and EU - does it match?

Julia Keserű jkeseru at sunlightfoundation.com
Sun Jul 7 22:29:10 UTC 2013

Hey all,

*

Felipe: At the moment, we are analysing the actual disclosure practice in
TED to see how much info is missing from the contract notices. We'll post
our findings in the next few weeks.

We are quite aware of the complexity of the EU procurement regime and the
legislative process so we definitely won't be able to address every angle.
At the same time, commercial

confidentiality is a key issue here which will largely depend on the
national FOI regimes of member states, so we might not be able to ask for
radical openness.

We could however push for improvement in some - less controversial -
issues, such as EU-wide requirements of unique identifiers for awarding
agencies and contractors, unique reference numbers for the whole
contracting cycle, online reporting, timely disclosure, machine-readable
data, etc.

On the other hand, Javier Ruiz raised our attention to the fact that the
plenary is due in September and that probably makes a campaign rather
irrelevant. Does anyone have idea if it makes sense to try to intervene at
this stage? If not, we should probably put pressure on improving the
disclosure practice in TED and then think about national level advocacy.

I'll be back with more ideas and would love to hear what others think.

Gerry, what did you have in mind?

Best,

Julia

*