[open-development] Following #NGFloods: The Mantra is Aid (Fund) - Effectiveness.

Hamzat Lawal mails4hamzy at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 14:06:00 UTC 2013

Dear Colleague,

As much as we all are in top gear to ensure enough awareness is raised and
adequate measures are put in place ahead of the predicted flooding by Nigeria
Metrological Agency (NIMET) <http://www.nimetng.org/>, It has become
imperative to find the links between government spending after a disaster,
and aid available for adaptation. Consequently, the *Follow the Money* *Team
* has launched a tool to give citizens information about how aid and funds
meant for flood victims have worked in their communities – Please visit
http://followthemoneyng.org/floodvictims.html

Last year, after the floods, the federal government gave out 13.3 billion
Naira [US$84 Million] for intervention to states affected, likewise 4.3
billion Naira [US$27 Million] to MDAs to manage the crisis. Moreover, about
2 billion Naira [US$ 12.8 Million] was gotten as aid from international
development partners. Our concerns are how effective these funds or aid is?
Does it reach the people it’s meant to? And does it work?

The *Follow the Money Team* believes when aid works, nothing works like it!
Could any investment ever provide the kind of multiplying returns that
follow the education of people within vulnerable communities? Teaching
someone to fish, maybe. Government funds, and donor aid must get smart, it
must be carefully targeted, good value and sustainable. It becomes smarter
when people can see where the money goes, and see that it positively
encourages development instead of fostering dependence.

“We need a transparency revolution, so citizens can see exactly where and
how taxes, aid and revenues from extractive industries are spent. These are
ends as well as means”* *– [*UN Report on A New Global Partnership:
Eradicate Poverty and Transform Economies through Sustainable
Development<http://www.post2015hlp.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/UN-Report.pdf>,
Page 9*] We have already started the data revolution, perhaps you have
comments, suggestions, or you want to join us and even support us, please
shoot us an email via hamzy at followthemoneyng.org and
oludotun at followthemoneyng.org We would be glad you did!

With Sincere Thanks & Best Wishes,

*Hamzat & Oludotun*