[open-development] 'Aiding Privacy' - privacy in developing countries initiative

Matthew Smith msmith at idrc.ca
Tue Nov 12 18:30:45 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I'm happy to see this making the round -- we (our team at the IDRC) funded the writing of the Aiding Surveillance piece and I'm encouraged to PI move in this direction. Like many people, we see privacy issues as the other side of the Open Development coin.

For those interested in privacy in developing country issues -- we've been working with Privacy International for a while - mostly through the Privacy in the Developing World Project that we fund (https://www.privacyinternational.org/projects/privacy-in-the-developing-world) with research in Latin America, Africa and Asia. This was an expansion of early work that just focused on privacy issues in Asia.

Best,
Matthew

Matthew L. Smith, Ph.D.
+1 613 696 2303