[open-development] Open Development Fellowship

Cobi cobi at aippnet.org
Mon Oct 7 03:59:33 UTC 2013

Thanks everyone for welcoming my first contribution.

Linda you make a good point re empowerment. Thanks Caitlin for introducing me to Alam and Winters' work. As Claudia mentioned, development is happening everywhere all the time. I'd worked on an East of England Development Agency-funded project, now I'm in Asia working on basic human rights for indigenous peoples - actually not as different as some might think :)

This raises an important point - if local residents in say Croydon in London, England wanted to lead a community-driven open data project about crime and conflict resolution, how would that differ from residents doing the same thing in say Shwe Pyi Thar in Yangon, Burma? What differences are based on data and what are based on cultural assumptions? Does this open development project we're discussing only cover the latter, or both? If only the latter, we should be clear about why, using transparent goalposts.

Given a global trend toward poverty being associated with inequality in middle-income countries, should the focus be only on low-income countries? Is income the indicator we want to base decisions on? Working with indigenous peoples who are not 'developed' based on income, but are 'developed' based on ecological knowledge, I'm conscious of what indicators show about priorities.

Now I'm getting too philosophical.  Practically speaking, how about a measurable objective like:
"at least half of the active members of the open development working group will be from or in places with a Human Development Index below the mean".

Also I noticed the original Google doc https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fVewD7Ui6fnULg1e3r2Y6m5n3yjQH3oBbOiPKZ6IwBE/edit# has now changed to have the wording I suggested for Goal #2, despite saying at the top of the page "Original Proposal (copied from pad)". I'd recommend keeping the original proposal intact, and/or transferring to a wiki or similar where participants can see the revision history, for transparency.

It's useful to track things like this because it seems an aspect of this project will be changing thinking and behaviors of people already within the open development community, as well as developing knowledge, capacity and sharing among people outside of the community now.

I look forward to more discussion :)

cheers, Cobi