[open-development] Blog post: Some of my thoughts following OKCon in Geneva

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue Oct 29 09:24:18 UTC 2013

Hi Duncan,

I really enjoyed your piece - and this thread. Some of my thoughts on the
challenges (and dangers) here were distilled in this piece written just
over a year ago:

http://blog.okfn.org/2012/09/13/managing-expectations-ii-open-data-technology-and-government-2-0/

Rufus

On 28 October 2013 16:12, Duncan Edwards <D.Edwards at ids.ac.uk> wrote:

>  Hi Bill,****
>
> ** **
>
> Thanks for this – I’m really hoping we do have increased debate about
> these issues and as a result increasingly test our assumptions, learn, and
> adapt the work we are doing to increase our impact.****
>
> ** **
>
> I was interested to read some of the comments on the blog which seemed to
> suggest I was critical or opposed to “openness” – I am a huge advocate of
> “open” but I do feel we do need to challenge and test ourselves to both
> increase our impact but also be able to demonstrate impact.****
>
> ** **
>
> I love your last couple of paragraphs below particularly the bit about
> potholes J - the only thing we should add would be to flesh out a bit
> more on the “host of other priorities” to include elements around political
> economy which are potentially the biggest stumbling blocks to change.****
>
> ** **
>
> Cheers,****
>
> Duncan****

> Duncan Edwards
> ICT Innovations Manager – Knowledge Services
> Programme Manager - Research & Evidence Component, Making All Voices Count
>
> Institute of Development Studies, Brighton BN1 9RE, UK ****
>
> Charitable Company No. 877338
> Global Knowledge *for Global Change
> *email: d.edwards at ids.ac.uk  tel: +44 (0)1273 915797
> fax: +44 (0)1273 621202 ****
>
> Skype: duncan_ed1****
>
> Twitter: @duncan_ids <http://twitter.com/duncan_ids>
> ****
>
> Bio: http://www.ids.ac.uk/person/duncan-edwards
> Knowledge Services at IDS:*http://www.ids.ac.uk/go/knowledge-services*
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> ****
>
> ** **

*

Rufus Pollock

Founder and Executive Director | skype: rufuspollock |
@rufuspollock<https://twitter.com/rufuspollock>

Empowering through Open Knowledge
http://okfn.org/ | @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN> | OKF on
Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork>|