[open-development] Workshop: Making it Matter: Supporting education in the developing world through open and linked data - 16th MAy

Marieke Guy marieke.guy at okfn.org
Tue Apr 8 12:57:44 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

We were intending to send something to list but just hadn't got there
yet, so thanks to Tim for sharing. Do pass on to anyone you think might
be interested in attending. Note that we plan to have some event
amplification for those who can't physically attend.

So to clarify this is a free one-day workshop organised by the LinkedUp
Project and the Commonwealth of Learning which will be held in
Bloomsbury Suite B at Friends House in London, UK on Friday 16th May,
2014. The workshop is entitled: Making it Matter: Supporting education
in the developing world through open and linked data.
http://linkedup-project.eu/making-it-matter-workshop/

The aim is to bring together software developers, educators and
individuals from the development community to see how they can work
together by using open and linked data to support education in the
developing world.

The day will have two main activities:

  * Firstly there will be focused discussion around real-world
    requirements in the developing world that could be aided through the
    releasing of data and/or the building of relevant applications and
    prototypes. This discussion will feed in to requirements for a
    focused track for LinkedUp Vici Competition that looks for
    educational applications that target developing countries,
    addressing context-specific problems, issues and needs, being
    technical, societal or environmental.
  * Secondly there will be the opportunity to look at tools developed
    through the LinkedUp Challenge (the Veni and Vidi Competitions) and
    see how they could be used in the developing world. Feedback from
    the session could lead to the opportunity for some of the LinkedUp
    Challenge tools being enrolled to a larger user base at one of the
    Commonwealth of Learning's related organisations.

The day will also be a 'first-step' in bringing together communities
interested in the technical issues related to open data and education in
the developing world. There will be break-out sessions and plenty of
opportunities to explore what the next steps would be in working together.

If you are interested in participating could you book a place using the
Eventbrite form.
http://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/making-it-matter-supporting-education-in-the-developing-world-through-open-and-linked-data-tickets-8832158223

If you have any questions about the day, or suggestions for the agenda
do let us know.

Looking forward to meeting you at the Making it Matter Workshop!

Thanks

Marieke

--

Marieke Guy