[open-development] Hello from the Open Development Toolkit!

Zara Rahman zara.rahman at okfn.org
Wed Feb 12 16:26:14 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I just wanted to say hello from a new project from Development
Initiatives + the Open Knowledge Foundation- the Open Development
Toolkit! (http://opendevtoolkit.net)

Those of you who were following or at the IATI TAG meetings have already
come across it, but just a brief introduction for those who weren't; the
toolkit is aimed at increasing data literacy around development data,
especially for civil society and journalists in low-income countries.
The toolkit will consist of training materials via School of Data, as
well as open source, modular software tools, and initially there will be
a focus on aid data, though we hope to cover more areas within
development data in the future.

We're just getting started with the project now, and will of course keep
you all updated. To begin with, we're looking to build up a
comprehensive list of *existing tools around aid data, *with their
features, strengths, and target audiences; and for this we'll be in
touch very soon to try and consolidate the knowledge within this community.

We're always on the look out for volunteers to help with, for example,
blog content, communications, or technical aspects on the website, so
get in touch if you'd like to be involved. Or, if you're interested in
guest blogging on the Toolkit site on any aspect of development data,
your input would be welcome.

Any other questions, please don't hesitate. Looking forward to working
with you all!

Best,

Zara

PS You can also find some of the IATI crowd on the #IATI freenode
channel <https://webchat.freenode.net/>on IRC...

--
Zara Rahman
Open Development Toolkit Lead | skype: zara.rahman | @zararah