[open-development] IATI: making it easier for development NGOs/CSOs to share data

Sarah Johns sarah.louise.johns at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 10:18:49 UTC 2014

Hello  (and following on from Michael's post), over at the IATI CSO Working
Group, we're having a discussion about an NGO open data standard -
basically a subset of the IATI Standard using a smaller range of IATI
fields. The idea is that this would make the IATI Standard easier to use
and less time consuming, so that more development NGOs/CSOs would use it to
share data about their work. This is particularly important now as we are
starting to support Southern NGOs to use the Standard.

We think the benefits would be 1) there would be more data shared more
regularly 2) the data would be better quality 3) the data would be
consistent across all NGOs/CSOs, and therefore be more useful to us for
planning, collaboration etc as well as piping in cleaner data to the
platforms that use the IATI dataset.

If your organisation is involved in IATI - either publishing or promoting
it or using the data, or interested in finding out more, join the Working
Group (it's free and painless to join, honest!) at
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1D64hmofWCKQjtYC54b2t2GayVB83MIqM-H70_xQe2Bk/viewform

(NB: IATI = International Aid Transparency
Initiative<http://www.bond.org.uk/effectiveness/transparency>
)

Kind regards,

Sarah