[open-development] Code for Nepal launches its first pilot project next week!

Ravi Kumar kumarav4 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 14:45:53 UTC 2014

Dear Open Data and Open Gov friends,

Next week, Code for Nepal (www.codefornepal.org) will launch its first
pilot: a two-week digital empowerment program in Kathmandu, Nepal, for
young women who are passionate about journalism, blogging, coding, and
social media.

Two months ago, we launched a nationwide survey in Nepal to assess the need
and interest in digital literacy among young women in Nepal. We conducted
the survey online and offline, and invited people to take the survey via
SMS. We have designed the Digital Empowerment Training based on the initial
analysis of the survey: www.bit.ly/fellows14

Code for Nepal was launched during International Open Data Day
<http://blogs.worldbank.org/opendata/open-data-community-grows-together-stays-together>
in February 2014 in Washington, D.C. We have many goals for the
organization: producing quality open data products, providing digital
training to amplify the voices of women and minorities, and serving as an
incubation hub for start-ups in Nepal. Six months in, we're really excited
about where Code for Nepal is headed!

We've started a Fund Dreamer campaign (www.bit.ly/nepaliwomen71) with the
goal of raising $2,500 by the end of July (we are half way there!). Check
out our campaign page and video to learn more. We are grateful for
donations of all sizes -- even $10 will make a difference! Please also
consider sharing our message with your networks and across social media.

Stay tuned for more updates about Code for Nepal, and thanks for your
support!

Sincerely,

Mia Mitchell and Ravi Kumar

Co-founders of Code for Nepal