[open-development] Invite >> CfP Governance, Accountability and Human Rights track @ ICT4D Conference May 16-19

Kersti Wissenbach krwissenbach at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 10:01:52 UTC 2016

Hey everyone,

Some of you might have received the Call for Proposals for the upcoming
ICT4D conference in Nairobi.

For those who have not let me share with you the invite below.

We are happy to receive your abstracts but please also feel free to get in
touch to bounce ideas for contributions etc.

Have a nice Sunday everyone!

Kersti

Dear friends,

As you may know, Oxfam is partnering with several other organizations to
host a conference on ICT4D from May 16-20 in Nairobi:
http://www.ict4dconference.org  The focus of the conference will be to look
at how technology can enable the realization of the Sustainable Development
Goals. The agenda is being organized around several thematic tracks, each
led by one or more organization, and each representing one or more of the
SDGs. We are expecting over 400 people from more than 50 countries, 140
organizations and a wide range of disciplines. We want to ensure the event
program to be truly participant driven by real experiences, questions and
needs.

Oxfam is organizing the track on *Governance, Accountability & Human Rights*.
It is clear to us that the increasingly widespread adoption of ICTs are
opening new opportunities for citizens to create, lead and take part in
civic activism and civic spaces. More than ever, people all over the world
are exploring ways to use ICT-enabled processes to hold governments to
account or to demand the right to transparency in electoral processes,
budget decision and service delivery. Access to information and
evidence-based reports are essential for citizen action and influencing
processes, and ICTs can not only contribute to improve transparency, but
can also to create feedback loops that can improve accountability. On the
other hand closing civil society space is often emulated or exacerbated in
technology-enabled space and increasing privacy concerns are forcing
stakeholders to take the challenges very seriously.

The sessions in our track are intended to provide a space for an
interactive conversation and co-creation between actors involved in
Governance Accountability and Human Rights. We believe that gatherings like
these are moments to share and discuss challenges as well as to encounter,
share and expand potential solutions. In other words, if it's something
that someone can watch on a video, then none of us should be getting on a
plane!  The opportunity to share and engage with participants across the
spectrum of stakeholders is too valuable to use an entire session for a
lecture or demo.  We therefore invite individuals, communities and
organizations to submit proposal abstracts for workshops, presentations,
panel discussions, working group sessions etc.

We think appropriate technology can be an enabler to empowered citizens and
consumers, but much more than technology is driving such potential. As
such, we are interested in a number of topics within our theme such as (but
not restricted to):

•        responsible data

•        how shifting dynamics in civil society interface with digital
activism / Civic Tech

•        freedom of the web

•        ICTs and the wider development divide

•        availability versus accessibility, connecting versus communicating

•        gender and technology

We are warmly inviting you to join us in order to contribute and co-create
in this community-shaped four-days event!  Please submit your session
proposals for the sectors governance and human rights here:
http://www.ict4dconference.org/apply-to-be-a-speaker/  The deadline for
submissions is *February 5th*  - however, if you wish to contribute and
can’t make the deadline please contact one of us directly.

Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.

Neal, Amy & Kersti

*Kersti Ruth Wissenbach*
strategy | implementation | research

*Transparency & Accountability | Open Development **|ICT4X  *
Researcher DATACTIVE - The politics of data from a civil society perspective
NL ambassador Open Knowledge Foundation

Mobile +31 (0)634193966
Skype kersti.wissenbach
@kerstiru