[open-economics] Another project idea: Open Seminar

Guo Xu digitalepourpre at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 11:53:26 UTC 2011

Hi folks,

Just had another idea for a easy Open Econ project. So here is the motivation:

Since scientific knowledge is (hopefully) a public good, much of its
generation depends on knowledge spill-overs, positive externalities
and synergies within the scientific community. The problem here is
that - at least in economics - most of the top tier research takes
place at a few universities. Most of their seminars are exclusive and
working papers circulated only among a small community. Much is lost,
however, if discussions take place only within a small circle: I was
wondering if we could set up an app based on Open Shakespeare where
people can upload their drafts and leave it open for annotation?
Again, I think there would be quite a demand for such a tool - I, for
example, annotate the PDFs I read anyway so why not share it with the
public?

Could anyone tell me who was involved in setting Open Shakespeare up?
I think it should be very easy to edit it slightly and set it up for
working papers?

Looking forward to your suggestions. Will also post this on ideas.okfn.org.

Have a nice weekend,

Guo