[open-economics] CKAN user experience re Open Economics

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue Feb 1 20:21:58 UTC 2011

On 30 January 2011 20:29, Alex Hagon <alex.hagon at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> I've some thoughts on the CKAN user interface experience re Open Economic
> data in case of help from the perspective of a relative newcomer. Apologies
> if I have misinterpreted any aspects of the system, comments made in the
> spirit of hoping that it becomes more popular to add economics datasets....

Never apologize :) -- all feedback is good.

> Guided: Having some form of leading through the process in plain terms would
> be good if possible.

We have a new wiki for CKAN and i've stubbed a page on Economics.
Please jump in and add to it:

http://wiki.ckan.net/Guide_Economics

> Less imposing: It would be great if it could all somehow be made a bit less
> imposing at first glance and a bit more friendly. It is already fairly
> friendly however, just in relative terms :-)

Any concrete suggestions for terminology, instructions ...?

> Minimise legals/ technicalities: The technical terms are a bit tricky to
> understand unless you are well immersed in this. The legal descriptions of
> what constitutes Open Data are also somewhat intimidating. Is there perhaps
> a way to simplify this for the uninitiated?

Agreed. Any suggestions?

> Boldness welcome: It would be good for new users to know that they cannot
> 'break' the system and contributions are highly welcome, whether of a huge
> multi table package or a single data set. In other words it is an evolving
> thing and perfection is not required.

Agreed. Suggestions for text and where it should be inserted :)

> Naming conventions: How to name things properly is fairly intimidating, for
> those not rehearsed in semantic web principles for instance. Is there a
> "right" way. Examples in situ might help.

I think we should start instructions for this on the wiki and then
find a way to integrate this.

Rufus