[open-economics] Credit union failures

Velichka Dimitrova velichka.dimitrova at okfn.org
Sun Dec 9 22:20:55 UTC 2012

Hey Anders,

Since we have quite a lot of columns already, I am wondering whether we
could put a star for the fields which we definitely need for this type of a
visualisation, I guess this would be the date and the main city of
operation?

Do we need the amount that the bank received in state aid / for how much it
was sold in a public auction? That would be the size of the bubble I guess,
but probably we won't be able to complete this information for all entries?

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 4:18 PM, Anders Pedersen <anderspeders at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> That is great!
>
> During this weekend at the OKFN Hackdays in London more joined the work
> got involved in the update of some the failed bank data.
>
> We were pointed us to this visualization, which could be a useful template
> for a European failed banks map:
> http://graphicsweb.wsj.com/documents/Failed-US-Banks.html
> (on the left side you can choose "Value of assets at time of failure")
>
> Based on this visualization we have added a new column to the data set
> called: "Total assets of the bank at the time failure". The purpose of this
> column would be to enable us to visualize the proportional differences of
> the individual bank failures (ie. the difference between Northern Rock and
> a tiny local bank). The source would ideally be a financial statement from
> the bank before its failure, like an annual report or a quarterly
> statement.
>
> Let me know what you think.
>
> Best,
> Anders
>
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 10:16 AM, John Levin <john at anterotesis.com> wrote:
>
>> about

Velichka Dimitrova
Coordinator of the Open Economics Working Group
Open Knowledge Foundation
http://okfn.org | http://openeconomics.net