[open-economics] YourTopia 2.0 / Italian Map Demo

Velichka Dimitrova velichka.dimitrova at okfn.org
Thu Feb 9 23:49:27 UTC 2012

Hey Gregor,

this looks really cool, thanks a lot! - Do you think that mouseover can
display the name of the province instead of the NUTS3 code - this would be
really useful for the people who are unfamiliar with Italian geography.
Does it display the data from the latest year?

Do you think it is possible to implement a slider with the different years?
We are thinking about a meaningful way of visualising the changes over time
- I was having a look at their statistical website:
http://noi-italia.istat.it (only in Italian, but you can select just one
indicator and have it visualised on a map and a graph) - I think their way
of presenting it doesn't deliver a a lot of information or doesn't leave an
impression of what and when has changed, so probably a slider or a separate
graph could be more useful - what do you think?

Let's catch up on IRC sometime, sorry about the connection on Wednesday -
it was a real struggle :)

Velichka

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 12:31 PM, Gregor Aisch <gregor.aisch at okfn.org> wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> Here's a nice map of Italy showing some indicators I've taken from the
> yourtopia 2.0 googledoc. The source code is gisted and linked. I could not
> resist to rotate Italy to give it a nicer aspect ratio.
>
> http://vis.okfnlabs.org/demos/italymap/
>
> Let me know if you have any trouble integrating this into YourTopia.
>
> All the best,
> Gregor

Velichka Dimitrova
Open Economics Working Group Coordinator
Open Knowledge Foundation
Twitter: @okfnecon, @vndimitrova
Website: www.openeconomics.net