[open-economics] City Data from Eurostat - Living Labs Global Award

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Jan 18 11:43:55 UTC 2012

Just to say this is brilliant Velichka.

On 17 January 2012 13:45, Velichka Dimitrova
<velichka.dimitrova at okfn.org> wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I have started building a dataset based on the Eurostat regional
> statistics, which features city and regional data on population,
> labour markets, education and health.
> http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/portal/page/portal/publications/regional_yearbook
>
> Eurostat publishes these characteristics separately - which makes it
> impossible to compare different economic and social indicators, more
> detailed regional levels like NUTS3 (featuring nearly 400 European
> cities) are not matched with other more aggregate levels (e.g. NUTS1).
> Once I have compiled the dataset, it can be used on basis of the
> ProgressVote - where users can choose weights for characteristics they
> find most important and thus build an index for their ideal city.

Can I make the suggestion of booting and etherpad e.g.
http://econ.okfnpad.org/datasets-scratchpad where you can dump this
sort of info, links you find as you go along etc. I've found this a
really useful process in the past as I'm researching a dataset
(eventually the pad becomes the notes / README for that dataset).

Rufus

> It would be also interesting to do some regression analysis on what
> drives cities. Furthermore, it would be a great contribution to our
> Datahub!
>
> If anyone of you is working on spatial econometrics or is interested
> in city economics or in programming based on this data, please let me
> know.
> We could also prepare a submission for the Living Labs Global Award
> (http://www.llga.org/), which is looking for an app that presents a
> particular solution for a city.
>
> Best,
>
> Velichka