[open-economics] works of Economics in Public Domain

John Levin john at anterotesis.com
Fri Jan 4 14:36:42 UTC 2013

On 04/01/2013 13:45, Guo Xu wrote:
> This sounds great --
>
> The problem I guess with econ is that it's - when excluding the more
> philosophical earlier contributions - a fairly young discipline. As
> far as I know, the Journal of Political Economy for example, is one of
> the oldest journals and started only 1892.

Speaking as a historian - he says, getting on to his high horse! - it's
dangerous to start drawing lines about what is and what isn't economics,
and especially to do so from the perspective of the present. Without the
earlier philosophy, could there be the modern, more technical economics?
And note that the Journal of Political Economy is using an older
construct - *Political* Economy - in its title, rather than the modern
term *economics.*

That said, there is the problem of copyright, meaning that any
collection of texts we make is going to be restricted to authors
deceased by 1925 (or thereabouts - the situation varies for different
countries) and will therefore not be representative of the whole
discipline, especially its modern manifestations.

I also think that there is an increase in academic production over time;
more works, and certainly more organizations and journals, the closer
you get to the present day. Not only does the copyright problem hide
this, but it also makes listing all the works individually on a google
spreadsheet an endless task. But to be selective is to introduce bias.

Journals are a particular problem - I think publishing a collection of
articles by different authors on a regular basis in a serial is a real
revolution in the production of knowledge, and needs to be considered
very differently to the books and pamphlets that predominated up until
the late c19th. (Of course, books are still published, and they can be
very influential.)

That said, at least journals are, by their very nature, collected
together and come with ample metadata 'built in'; far easier to get when
compared to gathering up disparate authors and texts published all over
the place, as I fear we might be doing with the google spreadsheet.

I think the best hope we have with journals, where they are in
copyright, is to pressure the publishers for access to datamining, even
if we can't get the texts outright.

> Would those journal articles also enter the public domain when death +
> 70 years apply?

I don't know the answer to this; does anyone else on the list know?

John

--
John Levin
http://www.anterotesis.com