[open-economics] OD Literature Review @ EconOKFN

Velichka Dimitrova velichka.dimitrova at okfn.org
Tue Jan 15 16:50:14 UTC 2013

Dear Thomas,

Once the list is a bit longer we can add it to the website as a resource in
the knowledge and data resource base. I think a spreadsheet is fine at the
moment - it has lower entry costs for entry of new contributors. I have
added four more reports that I know of relating to open data - not
necessarily only about the benefits however, but giving a broader picture.

I don't think for any of these reports / studies you would be able to get
an independent and dependent variable - even if such regression experiments
were done in order to provide "quantitative evidence" - as I know was the
case for the Deloitte report - nothing came out to be statistically
significant - it is simply very difficult to measure how open data affect
the entire society or the economy in quantitative terms. It is doing a
macro analysis of micro interactions. Would you use number of open data
releases by the government as an input variable? Innovation as output? How
do you measure them?

You might want to check out the work of the Open Data User Group, as their
task is exactly to establish what the benefits of open data are. Maybe they
have given some thought on measurement.

Does anybody else have ideas on this or publications to add? [Link to
document<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuDEHPyrFCQFdDVqXzZ5QjMtOXFYZnJkamhaSkJQSEE>
]

These are of course just policy and NGO reports, maybe there are other
studies from the academic literature with some more interesting evidence?

Best

Velichka