[open-economics] European Commission's consultation on open access to research data

Velichka Dimitrova velichka.dimitrova at okfn.org
Tue Jul 9 20:11:11 UTC 2013

Hi,

The European Commission held a public consultation on open access to
research data on July 2 in Brussels inviting statements from researchers,
industry, funders, IT and data centre professionals, publishers and
libraries. The inputs of these stakeholders will play some role in revising
the Commission’s policy and are particularly important for the ongoing
negotiations on the next big EU research programme Horizon
2020<http://ec.europa.eu/research/horizon2020/index_en.cfm?pg=home>,
where about 25-30 billion Euros would be available for academic research.
Five questions formed the basis of the discussion:

   - How we can define research data and what types of research data should
   be open?
   - When and how does openness need to be limited?
   - How should the issue of data re-use be addressed?
   - Where should research data be stored and made accessible?
   - How can we enhance “data awareness” and a “culture of sharing”?

- See more at:
http://openeconomics.net/2013/07/09/open-access-to-research-data/

*

Velichka Dimitrova