[open-economics] Financial comparisons

Niels Erik Kaaber Rasmussen niels at buhlrasmussen.eu
Thu Jun 6 19:14:15 UTC 2013

Hi

I did consider this problem while presenting historical budgets and
accounts for Danish municipalities (for charts see
http://kommune.politiken.dk/tabel.php?kid=101&&type=ud). Even for a 7
years period it's not fair to present the numbers in real values but how
to adjust?

There are multiple official price-indexes all used by government in
different contexts: consumer-price index, a wage index, netto-prices, an
index for construction, for road constructions and so on. Parts of the
budgets are grouped in similar ways. Fx. construction expenses are
identifiable and these expenses could be adjusted using the
construction-price-index (same goes for salaries, road-construction
etc.). This could be a reasonable approach when focusing on a specific
expenditure post in a historic perspective. However to use different
price-indexes on different parts of the same budget is obviously
problematic because the relative size of each type of expenditure
changes over time.

I choose to use a combined consumer-price and wage index to adjust the
historical data. This is not perfect but I found it better than using
multiple indexes for different parts of the budget and better than
presenting figures in real values.

Best, Niels Erik
---
http://www.buhlrasmussen.eu