[open-economics] To share or not to share? - Open Access Economics

Velichka Dimitrova velichka.dimitrova at okfn.org
Wed May 22 09:51:23 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Here is a short post picking up on the Reinhart and Rogoff discussion -
Barry Eichengreen wrote some relevant arguments at the Project Syndicate
last week.

http://openeconomics.net/2013/05/22/open-access-economics-to-share-or-not-to-share/

See also the list of excuses economists find not to share data:

"Economists at the anonymous web forum Econjobrumors.com have been
discussing<http://www.econjobrumors.com/topic/vlrm-asks-me-for-data-set-da-fuq-i-do?replies=13#post-832209>
the
best ways to avoid sharing data.

Here are some of “creative” suggestions on how the anonymous author could
get around sending their data:

“Refer him to your press secretary”
“Tell him you had a computer virus that wiped out the dataset”
“Not obliged to let anyone free ride. Can you explain it like that?”
“Tell him its proprietary data and you can’t share it without having to
kill him.”
“Tell him, ‘I’ll show you mine if you show me yours.”
“…say you signed NDA.”
“Huddle in the corner of your office wrapped in a blanket and some hot coco
from the machine down the hall and wait for the inevitable.”
“Don’t reply.”

Anonymous author: “No, did not make up the results. But let’s just say you
really do not want to play with the data in any way. No good for
significance.”
Anonymous comment: “Added a couple of extra stars for good luck?”."

*

Velichka Dimitrova

Open Economics Project Coordinator |
@vndimitrova<http://twitter.com/vndimitrova>